Monday, October 2, 2017

Go Gardening - Tasting Review of the Genovese Nero, Princesa, in addition to Mislabeled Magnolia Brebas

I dear walking around inward the garden inward the summertime as well as discovering ripe fruit! It's why nosotros practise this whole gardening affair right? The proverb "fruits of our labor" comes to mind.


It's the commencement of August as well as today the Shiro plums are create to eat. There's most a dozen fruit on this medium size tree. I facial expression a lot to a greater extent than from it side past times side twelvemonth at nowadays that I stimulate got a planted a Satsuma Pollinator for it.



I also stimulate got iii figs that are ripe.

Genovese Nero, 
Princesa, 
and Mislabeled Magnolia Brebas.



Let's review them.

Marseilles, Princesa, Genovese Nero

Starting amongst the Mislabeled Magnolia Breba. (Marseilles?)

It's a pet peeve of mine to instruct a mislabeled fig. I ever laissez passer the individual the practise goodness of the doubtfulness but at that topographic point are scammers out at that topographic point that merely desire to brand a quick buck.  I bought this found dorsum inward 2015 every bit a "magnolia". The work is it's far from beingness anything that resembles a magnolia or brunswick.

My best estimate is that this is a Marseilles fig which is also good. I've review this fig earlier hence I won't instruct also inward depth amongst this one.


I personally similar the gustatory modality of Marseilles really sweetness when dried on the tree. This piffling guy ripened out of the greenhouse. Lots of seed compaction dorsum lacks as well as recognizable flavour beside uncomplicated syrup.






Only 22.5 grams kinda on the pocket-sized side



Taste: 6.5
Sweetness: 6
Size: iii  (22.5 grams)
Productivity:  .17
Total = 15.67


And as well as then the Princesa Fig Breba

I got this fig afterward seeing some reports that it was i of the meliorate tasting figs on a gustatory modality examination at i of the meetups. Purchased from Harvey inward May 2016, it's notwithstanding a immature tree.


The fruit ripened inward the greenhouse. It sure is a skillful looking yellowish fig. Nice form as well as beautiful yellowish color.






45.3 grams




Overall I wasn't also impressed amongst this fig. It was lacking inward flavour as well as sweetness as well as borderline bland. I intend I may stimulate got to create a novel procedure for greenhouse ripened figs. I've noticed that the ones that ripen exterior stimulate got much to a greater extent than sweetness as well as flavour than the figs ripened inward the greenhouse.

So for now, I intend I volition start giving my figs that are ripening a fighting to a greater extent than fourth dimension exterior to complete off the ripening procedure to see if it makes a difference.


Taste: 5
Sweetness: 4
Size:  5 (45.3 grams)
Productivity:  .5
Total = 14.5


Genovese Nero Breba

There is hence much chatter most the genovese nero. Lot's of arguments over this i that I won't instruct into. This i is from Rafed. There's also the Rob's Genovese Nero which puts out huge brebas. I stimulate got that i also but it has non fruited yet.


You tin see how soft this i was getting, it was also rubbing against the stake which may stimulate got affected its growth.


Luckily I stimulate got some other breba on here. I'm going to pose this other guy exterior to ripen to see if it makes a departure inward taste.


Take banking concern annotation of the bell form which is quite similar to the i258 as well as Black Madeira. The peachy affair most this fig over the dark madeira is that it puts out brebas. Which is peachy for us norther growers. 


52.1 Grams


The pulp as well as amount of nectar inward these figs merely looks delectable.





The gustatory modality of the Genovese Nero Breba was skillful but non on the side of amazing. It definitely had the most acid of all the brebas I've had this year. It did stimulate got some berry tones as well as pulp that has peachy texture. However the sweetness degree was non nearly where I would've liked it. Again I intend I request to laissez passer them to a greater extent than instantly Sun exterior of the greenhouse.

*I stimulate got to add together that judging 1 twelvemonth one-time trees is non the ideal assessment, I intend the tree actually comes into it's peak when grown inward Blue Planet on the tertiary twelvemonth as well as beyond.

Taste:  7
Sweetness: 6
Size:  6 (52.1 grams)
Productivity:  1
Total =  20









EmoticonEmoticon